Before travelling to Budapest


  1. Housing
  2. Private accommodation
  3. Student Card
  4. Computer / Internet Access
  5. Student restaurants and cafeterias
  6. Students' health and well being
    General Practice
    Dental Medicine
  7. Visa and Residence Permit
    I. European Economic Area (EU, Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland) citizens
    II. Non EEA citizens without visa requirement
    III. Non EEA citizens with visa requirement
    Office of Immigration and Nationality
    Lost/stolen residence permit
  8. Living & Studying in Budapest
    Budapest, Hungary
    Public holidays
    Names in Hungary
    Public Transportation
  9. Other information
    Money Matters
    Telephone, Postal and Internet Services
    Post offices
    Useful phone numbers
    Drinking Water
    Embassies in Budapest
    Academic Vocabulary Glossary
    Everyday Language Glossary
  10. Leisure
    Culture and Entertainment
  11. Learn Hungarian
  12. Before returning home


International exchange students can only live in private accommodation.

Rent a flat/room in Budapest

Rent and sell apartments in Budapest

Private accommodation

Please note, that due to limited spaces, we are not able to accommodate ERASMUS students in the dormitory of our university, so renting a room or a whole flat can be options for you. International students will have to organize accommodation on their own, i.e. look for private rental accommodation. Rents vary greatly according to location, room size, facility etc. A single room can cost like 40.000 HUF, a whole flat starts from 80.000 HUF. Overhead expenses are usually not included in the price, and depend on the season, on the size of the space etc. Payment is usually expected at the beginning of the month, while some landlords request payment for several months in advance.

The best way to do this is to search for different offers on the following web-portals. Some of the portals are only in Hungarian, but they usually have photos of apartments and contact email so may send an inquiry:

Before choosing a flat, you might need to spend some time in a hostel. Therefore, we suggest youth hostels.

Student Card

All Erasmus students will receive a Hungarian student card. You will get it at the International Office from the Erasmus coordinator at the first meeting. Please be aware that this is a temporary ID document, and has to be renewed every 60 days (it is not our responsibility to keep track of when the 60 days are up).

The student card provides you 50% discount at all transport out of Budapest also – just don’t forget to show it when you buy the ticket! Museums also give you discount with student card – especially Fine Art museums.

Computer / Internet Access

There is a free wi-fi in the Main Building of the University, and each department has its own too (but they are protected with password). There are computers that can be used by students free of charge in the Library.

Student restaurants and cafeterias

Meals, cafe, refreshments and cakes at affordable prices are served in student restaurant and cafeterias. There is one in the Epreskert.

Students' health and well being

Make sure to have a valid health insurance during your study period in Budapest. If you have an EU citizenship, you should have an European Health Insurance Card (the „Blue Card”).

You may also have an international health insurance policy, in which case you will need to pay for the examination when you visit a doctor and afterwards you can be refunded from your insurance company for the medical costs that incurred.

To read more about the health care services avaliable during temporary stay in Hungary, just click here.

These are the doctors you can contact in case you have health issues:

General Practice

Inter-Ambulance Zrt.
address: 1073 Budapest, Dob u. 86. map
phone number: 00 36 1 321 0358
office hours: non-stop

Dental Medicine

Dental duty of the Semmelweis University
address: 1088 Budapest, Szentkirályi u. 40. map
phone number: 00 36 1 317 6600
working hours: non-stop

Visa and Residence Permit

Important! Every document listed below must be original or authenticated by the issuer or a public notary! No photocopies or reproductions (e.g.: scanned and re-printed documents) will be accepted!

I. European Economic Area (EU, Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland) citizens

1. If your stay does not exceed 90 days

If you are a citizen of the European Economics Area, you have the right stay in Hungary up to 90 days without any registration. You will only be needing a valid travel document or identification card.

2. If your stay exceeds 90 days

EEA citizens whose stay exceeds 90 days will need a registration certificate. The following documents are reqiured to apply for a registration certificate at

  • application form (download from here)
  • your valid passport or official ID;
  • for students: student status certificate from the university (a certificate issued by your Erasmus coordinator in the International Office) stating you are a legitimate student at the Hungarian University of Fine Arts;
  • lease contract of the the rented apartment where you are staying, signed by the all the owners, tenants, and beneficiaries to the flat, and by two witnesses;
  • a certificate about your financial assets for the period of your stay in Hungary by any of the following means: recent bank account statement, receipt of deposit or currency exchange;
  • certificate about the amount of scholarship you get in Hungary;
  • proof of medical insurance or coverage from Hungary or your home country (E111 card or other insurance certificate);
  • fee stamps worth 1,000 HUF (available at any post office, "Illetékbélyeg" in Hungarian).

Requirements: a completed form, the required annexes and the payment of the processing fee.
Please note that when submitting the application to the authority, the applicant is required to appear in person, unless the foreigner is unable to appear due to his/her state of health.

II. Non EEA citizens without visa requirement*

*Countries involved in this category are:
Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Darussalam, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, New-Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Saint Kitts and Nevis, The Seychelles, Singapore, South-Korea, Uruguay, USA, Venezuela, and Vatican, Hong-Kong and Macao.

1. If your stay does not exceed 90 days

You do not need a visa or residence permit. However, if you are planning to stay in Hungary for more than 30 days, you have to report your Hungarian address within 3 days from your arrival to Hungary at the Office of Immigration and Nationality. Change of address also has to be registered within 3 days from the day when you moved. You will need the following documents for the address registration:

  • address registration form: the address registration form is a certified proof of your Hungarian address. The form is available at the Office of Immigration and Nationality for free. It has to be filled in completely and signed by the person/s providing the accommodation. You need to bring it back in person to our Office for validation;
  • valid travel document

2. If your stay exceeds 90 days

If you are planning to stay in Hungary for more than 90 days, you have to report your Hungarian address within 3 days from your arrival to Hungary (see above) AND apply for a residence permit, for which the following documents are reqiured:

  • information and application form (website)
  • your valid passport;
  • a recent ID photo (not older than 3 months);
  • for students: student status certificate from the university (a certificate issued by the International Office, stating that you are a legitimate student at the university);
  • an accommodation reporting form filled up completely and signed by the person(s) who provide(s) accomodation - IMPORTANT! All changes in accommodation need to be reported within 3 working days.
  • lease contract of the rented apartment signed by all the owners, tenants, and beneficiaries, or, for dorm-residents, by the director of the dorm;
  • if you are staying in a rented apartment: a certified copy of the deed of ownership of the apartment (not older 30 days) - in case you are the owner: only the deed of ownership is needed;
  • a proof of your financial assets for the period of your stay in Hungary by any of the following means:
    • bank account statement of balance, preferably for the last 6 months
    • currency exchange or deposit receipts;
    • certificate about the amount of stipend you get in Hungary;
  • proof of medical insurance or coverage from Hungary or your home country;
  • flight itinerary, or proof of sufficient funds for your return home;
  • fee stamps worth 18,000 HUF for first time applicants, 10,000 HUF for extension (available at any post office - "Illetékbélyeg" in Hungarian). Scholarship holders of the Hungarian Scholarship Board do NOT have to pay the fee.

Those third country nationals, who already possess a residence permit, have the right to travel freely in the Schengen area. This means that you can spend a maximum of 3 months in other Schengen member states within every 6 months. If you want to spend over 90 days in another Schengen country, you need to apply for residence permit in that other country. The pre-Schengen „C” and „D” type visas are only for transit for 5 days en-route from the country of origin to Hungary.

III. Non EEA citizens with visa requirement

Please note that you will have to apply for a visa together with the residence permit at the Hungarian Embassy prior to your first trip to Hungary. You can check the contact information of Hungarian embassies and consulates in your home country here.

If the Office of Immigration and Nationality has approved your application, the Hungarian Embassy will issue a short term visa for you to enter Hungary. Once you have entered Hungary with your visa you will need to pick up your residence permit at the competent Office of Immigration and Nationality with the following documents:

  • your valid passport with the visa obtained from the consulate
  • ID photo stamped on the backside by the consulate
  • an address registration form filled completely and signed by the person(s) who provide(s) accomodation - IMPORTANT! All changes in accommodation are to be reported within 3 working days.

The Center for External Relations or the Center International Offices will aid you in obtaining and submitting the necessary documents. Please always obtain the latest information, because there might be changes (e.g.: the amount of the fees of each procedures)!

Office of Immigration and Nationality

Bevándorlási és Állampolgársági Hivatal - I, III. IV, V. sz. Ügyfélszolgálati Iroda
Office of Immigration and Nationality - Customer Service Office I, III, IV and V

Address: 1117 Budapest, Budafoki u. 60. - Sztregova köz - map
Common entrance of the customer service offices No. I - VII
Phone number: 00 36 1 463 9100

Office hours:
Monday 08.30-13.00Tuesday 13.00-18.00
Wednesday 08.30-12.00
(Open only for students pursuing studies in higher education)
Thursday 08.30-13.00
Friday 08.30-12.00

Lost/stolen residence permit

If your residence permit gets lost or stolen, you need to go to a police station and make a report. After go back to the Office of Immigration and Nationality with the report, an ID photo, your passport and fee stamps worth 10,000HUF („Illetékbélyeg”) and ask for another one.

Living & Studying in Budapest

Budapest, Hungary

Budapest has a temperate continental climate. Hungary i din the Central European Time Zone. In the winter months this means clocks are se tat GMT+1 hour, and in the summer (end of March to the end of October) GMT+2 hours.

Public holidays

1st January
15th March
Easter Monday
Pentecost Monday
1st May
20th August
23rd October
1st November

Names in Hungary

Names are written in the opposite order as elsewhere. The family name comes first, followed by the surname.

Public Transportation

With a valid local student ID you can buy a monthly pass for students (3450 HUF / 11 EUR) at every ticket office, located at almost every metro station. A monthly pass is valid for 30 days for almost all vehicles of the public transportation in Budapest.

You can also buy tickets or daily tickets, but the penalties are very hight so please remember to always validate your tickets or have a valid pass and kepp hold of it! There are many ticket inspectors all around the public transportation: some are uniformed and others are dressed average, but they always wear a red armband and carry a photographic identification badge.

More information about the timetables and services can be found on the offical website of the public transportation company:


Taxis are more expensive in Budapest. They have a yellow registration number plate or they are painted in bright yellow. It is compulsory for them to use a taximeter that also give a receipt. The price is calculated according to the distance travelled but also include a fixed booking fee and a waiting fee (if appropriate). You can pay with credit card and by cash.

You can find them in front of all major hotels, the train and bus stations and at numerous other central locations, or you can call them. It is well worth noting down their telephone numbers because a taxi ordered by phone is cheaper than the one called on the street.

Főtaxi: 06 1 222 2222
Taxi4: 06 1 444 4444

Other information

Money Matters


Forint (HUF, Ft) is the currency in Hungary.
There are coins of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 and 200 forints. Banknotes have denominations of 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, 10000, 20000 forints.

Exchange rates may vary daily:
1 EUR = 310 HUF
1 US$ = 280 HUF

Credit Card Services

Mastercard - Eurocard, VISA, Diners Club and American Express are widely accepted in shops, hotels and restaurants. There are many ATMs in the city.


Banks are generally open to the public between 8 am and 4 pm. You may change foreign currency in forint at all banks. In money exchange offices, the exchange rate is somewhat more favourable and the service is generally faster. There are many such offices in the city and they are usually open between 8 am and 6 pm. All visitors advised to exchange currency only at accredited places. It is both risky and illegal to attempt to do so in the street. All banks have their ATM machines all over the city and you can always withdraw cash from them.
On Saturdays, Sundays and holidays banks are closed. Currency exchange is, however, possible at hotels’ reception desks.

Telephone, Postal and Internet Services

The international code for Hungary is 36, the area code for Budapest is 1. For local calls, dial phone number, for domestic calls dial 06 + area code + phone number, for international calls dial 00 + country code + area code + phone number. Budapest telephone numbers comprise seven digits, all other areas’ have six digits (excluding the area code in both cases).

Public telephones accept either coins or telephone cards (available from tobacconists, newsagents, post offices and petrol stations). Cheap rate runs at night and on public holidays.

There are three main mobile services in Hungary. These networks are T-Mobile, Vodafone and Telenor and their SIM cards can be bought in shopping malls. They also offer prepaid wireless Internet service.
To call a Hungarian mobile phone, first dial 00 36 followed by the subscriber’s seven-digit number starting with 20 (Telenor), 30 (T-Mobile) or 70 (Vodafone).

The Central Post Office is located in Jurišićeva 4, located just east of the Trg bana Jelačića.

There are a lot of internet cafés in Budapest where you will find all you need.

Post offices

Post offices are open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.

The two head post offices near the main railway stations are open longer as follows:
VI. Teréz krt. 51. (near the Western Railway Station)
Monday to Saturday 7 a.m. utnil 9 p.m.
VIII. Baross tér 11. (at the Eastern Railway Station)
Monday to Saturday 7 a.m. utnil 9 p.m., Sunday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Useful phone numbers

Hungarian country code 36
Budapest city code 1
Police 107
Fire brigade 105
Ambulance 104
Emergency Call Service 112


Opening hours:
Weekdays: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturdays: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Closed on Sundays and holidays.

Big shopping malls are open every day from 10 a.m. till 8 p.m. There are pharmacies in the shopping malls and sometimes there are also post offices too (though the post offices are open only on weekdays).


Pharmacies are all over the city centre, and you can easily locate them by their green cross.

Pharmacies on duty on weekends and bank holidays:

  • Szent Margit Gyógyszertár
    Address: 1027 Budapest, Frankel Leó u. 22.
    Phone: 00 36 1 212 4311
  • Teréz Gyógyszertár
    Address: 1067 Budapest, Teréz krt. 41.
    Phone: 00 36 1 311 4439
  • Nagyvárad Gyógyszertár
    Address: 1091 Budapest, Üllői út 121.
    Phone: 00 36 1 215 8947
  • Déli Gyógyszertár
    Address: 1123 Budapest, Alkotás u. 1/b.
    Phone: 00 36 1 355 4691
  • Mária Gyógyszertár
    Address: 1139 Budapest, Béke tér 11.
    Phone: 00 36 1 320 8006
  • Örs Vezér Gyógyszertár
    Address: 1148 Budapest, Örs vezér téri Rendelőintézet
    Phone: 00 36 1 221 3861

Drinking Water

Water is drinkable from the tap.


Voltage in Hungary is 230 volts, and plugs are of the two-pin continental type.

Embassies in Budapest

You will find the list of the European embassies located in Hungary here.

Academic Vocabulary Glossary

Course - tantárgy
Department - tanszék
Doctoral Studies or Doctoral Programme – doktori iskola
Exam (oral-szóbeli, written-írásbeli) - vizsga
ECTS credits – ECTS kreditek
Graduate studies - diploma
Higher Education - felsőoktatás
Learning Agreement – tanulmányi megállapodás
Postgraduate Study – posztgraduális képzés
Study year - tanév
Transcript (of records) - index
Tuition Fees/Tutorial Fees - tandíj
University - egyetem

Everyday Language Glossary

Good morning – Jó napot
Good evening – Jó estét
Goodbye - Viszlát
Answer - válasz
Building - épület
Direction - irány
Excuse me - Elnézést
Exit - kijárat
Entrance - bejárat
Forbidden - tilos
Help! - Segítség!
Hi - Szia
How much is it? – Mennyibe kerül?
How are you? – Hogy vagy?
Illness - betegség
Location - hely
No - nem
Please - kérem
Pull! - húzni
Push! - tolni
Question - kérdés
Square - tér
Street - utca
Thank you - köszönöm
Welcome - üdvözlet
What is your name? – Mi a neved?
Where do you come from? – Honnan érkeztél?
Yes - igen


Culture and Entertainment

You can find many theatres, museums, galleries in Budapest. There is a classical Opera house if you like classical music. Otherwise you can choose from many different concert venues, upon your taste.


Nightlife in Budapest is extremely good: bars, pubs, cafés and the summer time there are many open-air places to hang out.

Learn Hungarian

You can get a lot more of your stay in Hungary if you know a little of the local language and the social codes. Even if your courses are in a foreign language, you should have at least the basic knowledge of Hungarian for everyday use and administrative needs. You can apply for a course here in the University.

Before returning home

Before you leave don’t forget:

  • inform your Erasmus coordinator about the planned date of your departure at least a week before,
  • pay the fees of your flat,
  • get your official documents from the local Erasmus coordinator in the International Office (Transcript of Records, Confirmation of Attendance), and the documents required by your University will be signed too and give back your magnetic card (required to enter the University).